Good LINUX books?

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Tue Jan 28 12:36:35 EST 1997

I have looked at Using LINUX / Tackett & Gunter (QUE) and
Running Linux / Welsh & Kaufman (O'Reilly).  Of these two,
the Using Linux might be a little better for the absolute
beginner, but I think that Running Linux is overall the
better book.  Also, the CD's that come with the Using Linux
book contain rather out of date distributions.

I, too, am interested on any further comments on the other
books named.

To Martin Cohen, who recommended the Linux in a Nutshell: if
you had to get either Unix in a Nutshell or Linux in a Nutshell
and have it do as a reference for Unix in general (incl. e.g.
Solaris & Linux), which would you choose?  I didn't know about
the Linux/Nutshell, and was considering buying the other.

Thanks for the advice!

Chuck
Chuck Bearden			email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Catalog Department		voice: 713/247-3499
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-3158
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002		-=> NOT SPEAKING FOR HPL <=-
      -=>HPL's Homepage: http://sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us<=-

--- On Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:25:17 -0800  Christy Wrenn