more copyright

Andrea Duda duda at library.ucsb.edu
Tue Jan 28 11:11:02 EST 1997

I knew this thread would come to an end eventually.  You're all familiar
with Godwin's law, right?  I think it applies to mailing lists as well as
newsgroups.

Godwin's Law

prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a
comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition
in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever
mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in
progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an
upper bound on thread length in those groups.

You can find more of the jargon file at
http://hagbard.ncsa.uiuc.edu/jargon-index.html

                                Andrea L. Duda
                    Networked Information Access Coordinator
           Davidson Library, University of California, Santa Barbara
                         E-mail: duda at library.ucsb.edu
                     InfoSurf: http://www.library.ucsb.edu