using frames

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Tue Jan 28 09:07:33 EST 1997

Our home page committee is in the process of redesigning the layout and
design of our library's web site. One option we are considering is using
frames in order to have a sort of clickable 'table of contents' in the left
frame that would stay resident on left side as the pages of links selected
would appear in the right frame. We'd like to replace our current button bar
approach to navigating through our site.  The problem is that we aren't
quite sure how to work this into the opening home page design. We had
considered introducing the frames once the user gets past the first page,
but this seems like it would be a lot more work than setting up frames with
the first page. Then again I'm just beginning to work with frames, so if
that assumption is incorrect, someone feel free to clue me in. I think we've
pretty much ruled out a floating frame.  I'm wondering if anyone can suggest
some library sites that are using frames successfully or creatively. I'd
also appreciate anyone's comments on the feedback they've received from
their users in regards to frames.

Thanks much!

Sheryl Dwinell
Cataloger/Database Management Librarian