more copyright

Millard Johnson zendog at incolsa.palni.edu
Mon Jan 27 17:59:15 EST 1997

Laura Quilter said:
While I think the
question of whether librarians should or should not be copyright police is
perhaps debateable (I think we should NOT) - I think the obvious &
simplest solution is for would-be policers to police themselves.
*******
One wonders if she would give the same advice to us if
we were observing her being mugged on the street.  I tend
to think an ethical responsibility of citizenship is
to report violations of law - even if we are sympathetic
to the violator (in race riots, for example, beatings
should not be allowed to go on simply because our race
happens to be doing the beating) or the law is a bad
one (civil rights laws were not enacted until unjust
laws were publically enforced).  In our particular
case, the one list member did not turn another into
the law, but merely warned of a likely violation of
copyright law.  Furthermore, librarians have a special
responsibility with respect to copyright because
information is our business.

If we have moral convictions against the copyright law,
civil disobedience is an option.  But lets be upfront
about what we are doing.

Tom Kriz said:
Suppose I've worked for
years to develop the best tasting butternut squash this side of heaven.
(Yeah, I'm a vegaholic). You'd like to have some, but I don't want to sell
them. You'd especially like the seeds so you could grow your own next year.
My crop of wonderful squash is just lying out in my garden, and I can't
possibly eat them all. They are just going to rot. Would that entitle you
to enter my garden and take the squash I wasn't using? Would you want to
authorize the government to confiscate the squash I had grown and give it
to you so you could give the seeds to all your friends?
*******
We do not know.  You have raised an issue of patient.
Our discussion concerns copyright.  If you read the
copyright law, however, it clearly states that the
OBJECTIVE of the law is to encourage the creation and
dissemination of information.  Protecting the private
property rights of copyright holders is pretty clearly
subordinate to, and a means to, the end that information
is created and disseminated.
Millard F. Johnson zendog at incolsa.palni.edu
"I would rather risk failure than achieve it without risk"