WebMaster wanted

EPadilla EPadilla at sjmercury.com
Mon Jan 27 15:39:41 EST 1997

Hello fellow Web4Lifers.

Below please find a job posting for a position as WebMaster of the Mercury
Center at the San Jose Mercury News.  I can say that the pay is very
competitive, the position is pivotal, it's in the heart of the Silicon
Valley, and it's a great place to work.  We recommend that the person have
 an interest in publishing.  The opportunities are almost limitless.

If you're interested, please send cover letter and resume (with URLs of your
work) via e-mail to gharrell at sjmercury.com.

If you have any questions about life at the San Jose Mercury News, you may
contact me.
Elizabeth Padilla
EPadilla at sjmercury.com

WEBMASTER -- SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT MANAGER

The nation's Best Online Newspaper (chosen by Editor & Publisher) is looking
for a World Wide Web software development manager who's as creative and
ambitious as it is. Mercury Center's Webmaster is a technical leader,
someone with an interest in publishing, who wants to stay on the leading
edge of innovation, who's experienced in using the latest tools and who's
eager to play with the ones that haven't been released yet.

Mercury Center is among the first and best-known of America's online
newspaper services. Our software development manager is a member of our
management team, responsible for supervising developers, building software
applications, developing new features, working with a creative staff of
editors and producers, maintaining reliable operations and managing computer
and network systems. We're looking for someone who appreciates the
importance of a newspaper in a community and who enjoys using technology to
leverage that role. Our Webmaster should be an experienced manager, skilled
at working across departments with disparate individuals.

Our Webmaster is a team player, a good communicator, a curious explorer,
eager to grow and learn while building a range of online consumer and
advertiser services and products serving the Silicon Valley Community. The
successful applicant will work with editors, producers, marketers and
systems administrators from other divisions who work collaboratively for the
support of the online services of the San Jose Mercury News, one of the
nation's premier newspapers.

Candidates should have experience with Unix system administration (Sun OS,
HP/UX, Cisco), Unix software (telnet, DNS, sendmail, ftp, http), security
protocols, major Web standards (http, html, cgi) and programming (C, C++,
PERL, Bourne shell, C shell and Java), plus an eagerness to learn new
technologies. Candidates should have experience with and patience for
supporting creative, non-technical users.

Candidates should have a proven track record doing cool stuff on the Web.

If you're interested, please send cover letter and resume
(with URLs of your work) via e-mail to gharrell at sjmercury.com