Internet Explorer Administration Kit

Reeder Norm Reeder.Norm at mail.ci.torrance.ca.us
Mon Jan 27 11:36:32 EST 1997

Another reader gave the address for the Internet Explorer
Administration Kit so I won't duplicate that.  We have experimented
with the kit with pretty good success.  You can lock the home page,
block mail and and news or set those to only the servers you wish.
 You can block most settings that have drop down menus from the
toolbar at the top.  For the price, it's really good.  Documentation
is also good.

We are looking at the Administrator's Toolkit from Netscape.  It
regularly costs $2,000 but to public libraries and educational
institutions can be had for $795.  They haven't answered our question
yet as to whether it works with Windows NT which we are going to use
on the public worksations.

Neither kit does everything you want as to securing the PC.  We are
using NT's policy editor to restrict which programs can run and a lot
of other things such as eliminating all icons on the desktop.  We are
also using NTFS (Windows NT File System) so that we can lock down by
the folder/file what access the user can have.  Essentially we will
give them access to the "temp" directory and nothing else.

Our biggest concern now is not what can they run, but what can they
delete?  We found that if you typed in "norm.txt" in the URL search
box, it says "I don't know how to run this, but here is a list of
applications I have that you could choose to possibly run this".  It
gave us the list of helper applications like Adobe Acrobat but also
included many of the directories on the hard drive.  The worst feature
of this is that on this same screen is a "delete" button which you
could proceed to delete as many directories as you wanted.  That's why
we are going to NTFS to eliminate that option.

If anyone else is using the Netscape Kit, we would like to hear from
them too.

Thanks
Norm Reeder
Torrance Public Library