Latest Copyright FlameFest

Wilfred (Bill) Drew Jr. drewwe at morrisville.edu
Mon Jan 27 09:26:10 EST 1997

Discussions such as this are what keep this list honest and alive.  We
need such discussions and I hope this one continues for a while.  There
has been no real name calling.  There have been differences in opinion
and misstatements by some about what the leagal obligations of libraries
and librarians are.  Wether we like it or not we are copyright police.
We constantly monitor copyright and fairuse every time we limit faculty
members to five copies of a magazine article on course reserve or every
time we insist they put a textbook on reserve instead of copying a
complete chapter.Without the copyright law I would not be getting any
income form my paper based writing nor would my publisher.  YTake a look
at the copright statement usually prominently posted over any copy
machines in libraries in the United States.  Libraries and librarians
are rsponsible for enforcement of copyright and fairuse in bothe the
legal sense and moral/ethical sense.
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Systems Librarian (also reference)
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
New Homepage: http://www.snymor.edu/~drewwe/
Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
LibraryLinks: http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/
SUNYLA'97: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/sunyla/sunyla97.htm