Internet Explorer Administration Kit

Ulrich Babiak ubabiak at dom.de
Sun Jan 26 19:18:05 EST 1997

Hello web4lib,

I have to give in to the Microsoft folks in two ways ...
first, I am switching from Netscape to the IE for our public
terminals (but I won't start a new flame war on this issue)
and second, even I as a professional information scout have not
been able to find on their web site(s) ANY useful phone number or email
address for inquiries about their Internet Explorer Administration Kit
(their web site mentions "IEAK at msn.com" -  which seems to be a direct
link to their cute recycling bin icon).
 I even called several MS numbers in Germany
but to no avail. I think this billion dollar company did a great
job in preventing people to actually reach a competent person
directly via mail or phone.

That said, here is my humble question: has anybody here made
use of the IEAK and was it useful for customizing the browser
for public workstations? If so, which kind of license did
you have to sign? Are you aware of any library-specific IEAK support
or related projects the evil empire offers?

Just in case some members have not heard about IEAK: MS offers
this software package for only 20$  - so it seems to be a cheap
way to customize the IE for patron (or staff) use. If one could
only figure out which type of license to choose on the order page ...

Ulrich

Ulrich Babiak                         StadtBibliothek Koeln
ubabiak at stbib-koeln.de               postbox at stbib-koeln.de
Webmaster / Netzbetreuung              Josef-Haubrich-Hof 1
                                                50676 Koeln