Large multi-file web documents

Thomas G. Tyler ttyler at du.edu
Sun Jan 26 13:40:02 EST 1997

Please bear with me - my questions for the list require a little
background.

In the past nine months I have built and maintained a web page of
reference material relating to the Federal Depository Document Program
which is found at:

	http://www.du.edu/~ttyler/bdldhome.htm

Under the collective title of BDLD: Basic Depository Library Documents
are now more than 20 individual "titles".  As my library (the Univ.
of Denver) does not run its own web server, my pages are served from
the University's VAX cluster, where my "pages" translate into more than
900 HTML files occupying more than 20 megabytes of space.

File creation is done entirely from DOS / Windows 3.1 environment; the
large database-like titles (List of Classes, Union Lists, Additions &
Changes, Depository Library Directory, Inactive List, etc.) are produced
with a suite of programs written in PowerBasic.

In March I will be giving a paper at the Computer In Libraries '97
meeting on "large document" web pages and I would like to find
several good (or bad) examples of large multipage web documents produced
by or for the library community.  Such documents, I assume, will be large
bibliographies, directories, or manuals that if published
in conventional form would require 200 or more pages.

I'm also interested in any rules-of-thumb web publishers have adopted
for deciding when, for a given document, manual coding (with or without
software assistance) is not advised and some type of automated coding and
web page generation is required.

My last question (for now) has to do generally with the creation of web
documents from databases.  Assuming that in the future I decide to make
the jump from DOS/Windows 3.1 to UNIX/Windows NT, Perl, cgi etc., what
may I expect in the way of upside and downside in that environment if my
objective is to essentially maintain the current "look and feel" of the
web documents I currently maintain?

I'll be appreciative of any and all comments, direct or to the list.

--
Tom Tyler
Associate Director for Budget & Technical Planning

(303)871-3334
(303)871-3446 (fax)

ttyler at du.edu

http://www.du.edu/~ttyler/bdldhome.htm