Copyrights [Was: Head of S.F.'s Library Resigns...]

George Jenkins gjenkins at hbs.edu
Fri Jan 24 17:25:57 EST 1997

I am amazed (but not surprised) at the intentional thievery, narrow-minded
and selfish behavior - namely theft - regarding copyrights which I've read
on this listserv.  A lot of people have been breaking the law with
photocopies for many years.  So, that analogy doesn't wash with me.

We are all smart people.  Read the copyright laws if you are unsure.  (You
know the URL.)  Consider the authors who've worked hard to produce a
document.  They've earned a fair compensation.  Copyright law is about
compensating the authors and/or publishers; not punishing the readers.

Maybe fair use needs to be amended; maybe it doesn't.  Until that time, what
we have to live with is the current law.  Or, to word it another way: a stop
sign means stop,... not slow down,... sometimes.

George

-----
Visit the redesigned Baker Library
website:  http://library.hbs.edu
-----
George Jenkins                617.495.6837 (voice)
Business Information Analyst  617.496.3725 (fax)
Research Services             GJenkins at hbs.edu
Baker Library # 215           http://library.hbs.edu/
Harvard Business School       http://www.hbs.edu