Head of S.F.'s Library Resigns Under Pressure

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Fri Jan 24 14:26:47 EST 1997

Jumping into the fray, without taking either side in this debate, I think it
is possible to deal with this issue in a way that satifies both sides,
providing information while not violating copyright.  In fact it's a very
simple answer that I employed myself yesterday when I sent the following
message to members of my library:

---------------------Begin included
message-----------------------------------------------------

Some of you may have already heard this through other sources, but Kenneth
Dowlin, director of the San Francisco Public Library resigned yesterday
because of a $1.2 million budget deficit.  If you remember, Dowlin and the
S.F. Public Library were critisized in an article in the New Yorker by
Nicholson Baker a couple months back for getting rid of too many books
during the Library's move and high-tech upgrade.  Also, I believe Dowlin is
running for president of ALA....For the full story go to the SFGate website
(which features S.F. Chronicle and Examiner Newspaper articles) at:

http://www.sfgate.com/wais/search/chron-pro.html

Search for the word "library" in the Headline field and "Dowlin" in the
Keyword field.

-------------------End included

     This is indeed a good practice, one which I employ frequently.
     However, can you folks spot the problem with this? This assumes that
     everyone has access to a web browser, which not everybody has in this
     Age of the Web. At least if you included the full text of the message,
     everybody who is a subscriber can read the story.

     Of course, you can also summarize and email to all, but I've been
     advocating a freer approach, which I see as fair use.

     Chuck Munson