Head of S.F.'s Library Resigns Under Pressure (fwd) - -Reply

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Fri Jan 24 13:58:45 EST 1997

Are librarians required to get permission to create pathfinders?
Do reviewers ask permission to review books or magazine
articles?  Do we pay people to catalog their resources?  There is
no  relationship between bookmarking a site--which places an
address in a file so you can return to that address more
quickly--and appropriating the intellectual content of that site.

K. Schneider

>>> Robert Terry <rhterry at RBSE.Mountain.Net> 01/24/97
01:30pm >>>

I wonder if we will need to get permission to Bookmark a site in
the
near future or give the site's originator credit ?

Bob Terry

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Wilfred (Bill) Drew Jr. wrote:

> KAREN SCHNEIDER wrote:
> >
> > "I have to reiterate that I am disturbed to see librarians acting
as
> > copyright  police for this publisher." [C. Munson]
> >
> > ------------
> >
> > We guard what we cherish.
> >
> > -- K. Schneider
>

> We have a moral, ethical and legal requirement to act as
"copyright
> police".  The information in the article is not copyrighted.  The
> article is.  I have been a victim of copyright infringement in my
early
> work on Not Just Cows.  Several sites extracted whole portions
without
> giving me credit.  There are still sevral clearly derivative works
on
> the Web but that is harder to prove as a violation.  What is the
> incentive for publishers to make works available unless
copyright in
> respected by all parties involved?  Copyright does NOT inhibit
the
> dissemination of information it is one of the engines that drives
that
> dissemination.  I will point out  any copyright abuses I see.  I
have
> done so on previous occasions and will do so in the future.
> --
> Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Systems Librarian (also
reference)
> SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY
13408-0902
> E-mail: DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Cooltalk:drewwe at 136.204.83.8
http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/sunyla/sunyla97.htm