Copy or Reuse

Robert Terry rhterry at RBSE.Mountain.Net
Fri Jan 24 10:03:08 EST 1997

Hi,

We operate a software reuse library on the WWW.  In our arena the notion
of reuse has been around for some years now.  Actually, its been promoted
as a major solution for high costs of developing new software and the
high demand for quicker response times to do same.  As one educator said
at a recent working group, maybe we should grade our students on how few
lines they had to write in order to accomplish an assignment.

My point, is that thought, albeit, programs, are better shared than to
have people constantly re-inventing the wheel.  This is being highly
promoted in our field and the better reusers are highly commended.  In
the past most of our holdings (i.e. Math routines used on ICBMs) came
from publicly funded projects, and they are own by the public.  Lately,
we have included resources available on the WWW (rather than storing
everything here).  We are constantly getting these notes from said
resources that we need to do this or that if we wish to reference them.
What a pain in the maintenance activities this all becomes.  Our current
impression is that if its publicly available, we can reference it.  If
the owners wanted to not share they should have kept it behind a firewall
or on their intranet.

The opinions are my own, etc., etc., but do feel free to come and visit
our library and flame away, if you find resources without correct
visitation rights in their metadata.

Bob Terry
Software Market (all is free, maybe some day we will sell access :-)
http://rbse.mountain.net/mpcs/