Head of S.F.'s Library Resigns Under Pressure (fw

Earl Young eayoung at bna.com
Fri Jan 24 09:00:18 EST 1997

     Copyright law is being hotly debated these days here in Washington.
     The various interest groups are circling warily - each trying to
     maximize its individual advantage - and the process is neither tidy or
     real pleasant to watch.  It has all the elements of an action movie -
     greed, lust, avarice, but no car chases.  People with opinions need to
     make them known now - send email to your representatives, and
     encourage others to do the same - because the discussion of how to
     change the law is well underway.  This is a more reasonable approach
     than just rippping off a file from a Web site.  Stealing will drive
     the providers to password everything, just as it causes drivers to
     hide their stereos when they park.  In this case, posting the article
     didn't make something available that would otherwise have remained
     hidden - there was no information "yearning to be free."  It was
     already free - but it did require someone to click on a URL.  Some can
     argue that since it's available it really isn't stealing.  Others -
     and this is my take - is that since it is on the Web, it wasn't
     necessary to steal it.  The law is clear.  Distribution (adjusted for
     fair-use) without permission is illegal.