Titles; was, Re: text-based Internet?

Michael Reagan mreagan at email.csun.edu
Thu Jan 23 22:55:28 EST 1997

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Miriam Bobkoff wrote:

> this" I haven't got a handle on. Having to be reluctant to ask questions of
> the technogods on Web4Lib won't make it easier.

DO NOT GIVE IN TO THIS IMPULSE!!

Most of us are probably in the position of trying to "steal the trade"
in one area or another.  The most liberating words we can say are
"I don't know" and "will you help?"

Yes, there are people who reassure themselves by putting others down
-- that's THEIR PROBLEM, not yours.  Don't give them power over your
actions, they don't deserve it.

Do I speak from experience? Of course.  In a previous job I stole the
trade of systems programmer in an IBM mainframe environment.  No, I
did not know how to build an operating system from the ground up, and
I was not intimate with the internals of VM or VSE, but I learned
enough to install and update a stable platform so the company's
business could be done effectively.  Despite my myriad areas of
ignorance, I was successful.  Some of the supercilious gurus went
through several job searches during the same period, but they knew
more than I.

Ever learning, and striving to remain humble, which is another word
for honest.

Michael Reagan   KK6WO                  Circulation Unit Coordinator
mreagan at csun.edu                        University Library
(818) 677-4391    fax (818) 677-4136    California State University
home (818) 449-0996 fax 449-0952        Northridge CA 91330-8327
pager (818) 828-1226                    packet KK6WO at W6VIO.#SOCA.CA.USA.NA
--... ...-- -.. . de gustibus non est disputandum -.- -.- -.... .-- ---