Estimating bandwidth

Charles Crawford ccrawfor at tcc.tacoma.ctc.edu
Thu Jan 23 17:49:00 EST 1997

Our community college library is switiching from a CD-ROM based periodical
service (UMI's ProQuest) to a Web-based full-text periodical service (IAC's
SearchBank). The college's information systems department has asked me to
estimate bandwidth requirements (we are in the process of upgrading from a
56K to T1 line). I can try to estimate usage based on use of our current
periodical service, as well as current use of the Internet (8 of our public
access terminals currently run Netscape), but I don't know how to translate
this into bandwidth. Has anyone on the list had to address a similar
concern? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Charlie Crawford
Library Unit Manager
Tacoma Community College
6501 South 19th Street