Titles; was, Re: text-based Internet? -Reply

Jan Miller MILLERJA at UVSC.EDU
Thu Jan 23 14:18:26 EST 1997

Thank you, Miriam, for speaking up.

I got my current position of Systems Librarian as a spin-off
from my former position as Technical Services Librarian
because, as Miriam said, I knew more than the rest of the
staff -- even though it wasn't enough.  My computer
expertise is like Swiss cheese -- I know some pretty
advanced stuff but have gaps in some of the basics.  It all
depends on what I had to learn to resolve a crisis.  For
example, several years ago I had to plunge into UNIX
(Ultrix) many times because no one else was available.  At
the same time, I didn't know much of DOS beyond formatting
disks,  making/removing directories, and listing/moving
files.

I now have a techie assistant, so we can solve problems more
easily and comfortably.  But I actually miss the old "dive
in and hope you surface" experiences and am always glad for
a chance to fill in the holes in my cheese.

About 5 years ago I began to recognize how "experts" try to
bluff their way through a conversation if it veers a little
out of their territory.  Realizing I had done the same thing
a few times, I decided I wouldn't learn much that way.  If
the meaning isn't clear pretty quickly from the context of
the conversation, I start asking.  Some "technogods" have
shown a decline in respect because their kind never have to
ask questions(!), but I've decided their opinion is not
important anyway.  People who are honest with themselves
will realize that with the rate of change we're experiencing
now, no one can keep up with everything. True experts have
to keep narrowing their focus and specializing more.

Aren't the purposes of a discussion list like this to ask
questions, share and discuss information, and to help each
other?  No matter how much we think we do or don't know,
there are people on the list that we can help and others we
can learn from.  Let's keep an open, trusting atmosphere for
sharing and learning.

Jan Miller
Systems Librarian
Utah Valley State College