domain names

Bob Long bob at mail.esrl.lib.md.us
Wed Jan 22 20:31:57 EST 1997

> Pardon the innocent question, but I don't follow what this means. How is
> registering an IP address any different from registering a domain? Does this
> mean paying per server (mail, WWW)... and if so, why would we have to register
> "hundreds or thousands"? Or are you suggesting paying per URL... in which
case,
> it might be fairer to go with a bandwidth-related charge?

Totally different things. Obtaining a Class C license is a much
larger undertaking than obtaining a domain name is. For the most
part, only organizaions running networks that have a need to be
connected to the Internet need to bother with a license. If your
library is already connected to the Internet then somebody has
already taken care of all of this for you.
     On the other hand, domain names are available to anybody who has
$100 to spend and wants to fill out the form
(http://rs.internic.net/help/templates.html). The only other
requirement for name registration is that you provide two valid
domain name servers. If none exist within your organization your ISP
can probably provide you with names and addresses.
     The name server is where the connection between domain name and IP
address takes place. Outside of that there is absolutely no
relationship between the two.
     Here's how it works. Suppose your name is John Doe and you
register jdoe.com as your domain. Whenever somebody on the Internet
wants to access your web server (www.jdoe.com) they are routed
through the Internet's hierarchy of name servers until they reach one of the
two
names servers that you provided when you registered. This contains the
information necessary to convert www.jdoe.com into an IP address. At this
point they can find your host and access your web server.
     I know it seems strange, but it actually works very well.
     Hope this helps.

Bob