Netscape printing on Macs

Tim Smith smitht at ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu
Tue Jan 21 15:34:29 EST 1997

Christine Menard wrote:

>Another Netscape puzzle: how to control printing from the Web when
>using Netscape and a Mac ?
>I have no problems when using a pc: I go to print preview, zoom in,
>find page # and print.  Unfortunately, as far as I can
>tell, there is no print preview option (or a similar feature available
>or our Mac (we use Macs for public access to the Web and we run system
>7.5). Priting from our public terminals is now a real issue as
>we have no way of knowing how many pages the students will print and we
>don't know how to help them when they ask us how to print only one or
>two pages. Does anyone know how to solve this problem ?

Not long ago I ran across a nice little system extension that handles this
pretty well. It's called Net-Print, and is freeware available at:
http://www.luminet.net/~dmoe/

>From checking the URL above, I see that I no longer have the latest
version, so the current version may vary slightly. Basically, what this
extension does is to add another menu item--a little printer icon--to
Netscape (or other browser). If you wish to print (or save as a file or
text clipping) part of a page, simply select the portion you wish, go to
this menu item, and choose your method of output. That's all there is to it!

Be forewarned, however, that it does NOT print the graphics elements on a
page and may reformat (i.e., simplify) things such as tables, but for good,
straight text, it's pretty nifty.

I hope this helps,

Tim Smith

Tim Smith                     e-mail: TSMITH1 at OHIOU.EDU
Instructional Librarian       phone: (614) 593-2634
Reference Dept.               fax: (614) 593-0138
Alden Library
Ohio University               "Technology has replaced reflection."
Athens, OH  45701                                -- Utah Phillips