Walk-in web access in academic libraries

Stanley.Lyle at uni.edu Stanley.Lyle at uni.edu
Thu Jan 16 11:52:26 EST 1997

I've been going through the archives for postings which discuss restrictions academic
libraries place on use of computers, in the library building, which can access the web.
I've found a few, but most postings relate to public libraries.  Every academic library
I've visited in the last year apparently allows anyone to walk in off the street and
use computers loaded with Netscape, no questions asked (Univ. of Wisconsin, Univ. of
Iowa, Buena Vista College, and although not an academic library, New York City Public
Library new business library).  My impression based on this personal experience and
conversations with other librarians is that U.S. academic libraries generally do allow
anyone to use web stations in the library without having to go through any
authenication process.  Do others share this impression?  Anybody have some numbers?
The 1996 ALA survey called Electronic Services in Academic Libraries includes a
question on academic libraries providing access to the Internet to the general public,
but the question is quite general as I recall.

Stan Lyle