Article on Cataloging Internet Resources

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Jan 15 19:31:34 EST 1997

Feel free to forward to interested lists and individuals.

For an upcoming article in American Libraries, I would like to hear from
librarians who are involved in cataloging Internet resources through OCLC,
including cataloging resources that are available in more than one format,
such as paper and electronic.  Are you making these resources available
through web-acessible Online Public Access Catalogs (OPACs)?  How often do
the links change, and has that added an administrative burden?  Was it hard
to learn to catalog Internet resources, and where can you turn for more
information?  (OCLC's Intercat project is the obvious answer, but I was
hoping for some additional ideas.) What are the benefits and the drawbacks?
What else would you like to share with the library community about
cataloging Internet resources?

If you're involved in developing standards in the areas of cataloging
Internet resources, I'd like to hear from you, as well.

Thanks!  Be sure to include city, state, library or organization, and your
position.

Karen G. Schneider * kgs at bluehighways.com * schneider.karen at epamail.epa.gov
Author, The Internet Access Cookbook (e-mail Neal-Schuman at icm.com)
Director, US EPA Region 2 Library Contractor, Garcia Consulting
Cybrarian * Columnist, American Libraries
Visit our library at our new URL: http://www.epa.gov/Region2/library/
These opinions strictly mine!