learning HTML

Earl Young eayoung at bna.com
Mon Jan 6 16:29:39 EST 1997

     There are Web ways of skipping the course.  I use a Pentium and 95 -
     but I imagine that Mac browsers offer the ability as the 95 and 3.1
     versions do of bringing up a page from your hard disk.  This means you
     can test HTML without having a local server available.  Very handy if
     you are working from home, for instance.

     Hit the Yahoo site and look for HTML.  The "Bare Bones Guide to HTML"
     is a good one, and sites with that will typically link to others with
     HTML information.  Netscape also has a number of HTML tutorial files -
     especially good ones exist for frames on the Netscape site.  You
     should be able in about three days of reasonable hacking to print the
     materials from a couple of the HTML tutorial sites and then begin to
     experiment on your machine.  It won't take long.

     If you are building a smallish-to-mid size site, look at Net Objects
     Fusion.  The price with the educational discount is under $400, and it
     does a fast job of building sites.  The Backstage Designer from
     Macromedia is about $300, and it also is a good site building tool.

     The folks at Hot Metal Pro have an Internet Publisher that is also
     worth a look.

     The Fusion and Backstage products can be downloaded (they are 10 and
     14 megs as I recall, respectively) and used for 30 days.

     Fusion is at netobjects.com and Backstage is at macromedia.com.  I
     forget the URL for the Hot Metal Pro Internet Publisher.

     You will move a lot faster with the tutorials on the Web and with
     tools like these than you will in a CC course.  Nothing against the
     colleges, but they are unlikely to be using beta-level software, and
     that is where the real time saving tools are these days.  They are way
     better than Front Page, in my opinion.

     Hope this helps.