e-mail impersonation of webmaster

Elizabeth Felt felt at mail.wsu.edu
Fri Feb 28 15:46:03 EST 1997

I have recently received a number of returned e-mail messages stating
"returned mail: user unknown".  The problem is that I did not send these
messages.  Sometimes I can tell from the header information that they have
been sent from one of our public Netscape terminals in the library.

My e-mail is not set as the default for outgoing mail at any of these
terminals.  I believe that people are typing in my address when they mail
with Netscape.  My address is short, easy-to-type, and plastered all over
the library web pages (as the person to contact for questions, comments,
performed last revision...etc.)

I have received five "returned mail: user unknown" in the past few months.
One obscene message, one purchase verification for 10 music CDs, and three
attempted forwardings of a university psychology page.  And I'm only
getting these because someone has incorrectly typed the e-mail address of
the person they are sending the message to (except the order
verification).  How many other messages are getting through that I never
see?

My simple question after this long introduction:  is anyone else who has
their personal e-mail address "plastered" all over their pages having this
same problem?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Caulfield Felt
Reference Librarian