Hillary Clinton and the Cybersitter genre

Mark Stover stover at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 27 20:33:43 EST 1997

One participant wrote:

>Brian hit on the critical point.
>
>He stated that he considered schools, public libraries, children's museums,
>etc. to be in loco parentis.  Internet and other censorship systems are
>obvious extensions of such a position.
>
>Another position (mine and that of my local public library) is that
>libraries are to provide information, not babysitting.  In that case
>censorship of web sites, etc. is untenable.
>
>There seems to be no way to bridge the gap but at least it can be defined.

I wonder what Hillary Clinton would say about Cybersitter.  She has been
heavily influenced by the Communitarian movement, which advocates a "we're
all in this together" philosophy and at times has come close to allowing
some forms of censorship (if the end result is for the "common good").  If
Hillary's book, "It Takes a Village to Raise a Child," is any indication,
she might well be one to make an argument for "in loco parentis" in the
public library.

On the other hand, I'm sure that she would be sympathetic to the primary
role of the library as information provider, not babysitter.  And doubtless
she would find any form of censorship distasteful.  Nonetheless, I can't
help but wonder where she would find herself in this controversial topic
that just won't go away.

Anyone have a direct link to the White House?

Mark Stover