Boston situation -Reply

Margaret F. Riley mfriley at erols.com
Thu Feb 27 18:09:06 EST 1997

At 09:40 PM 2/26/97 -0800, you wrote:

>The overriding issue for me as a library patron is that the library should
>be a kid safe environment. I'll take care of my kids at home. I expect that
>the schools, the children's museum and the public library do their part as
>well.

Is the public library responsible for the safety of your children?   You
have now likened their role and those of the schools and museums
to nothing more than daycare, and an entitlement at that.

I dunno, but my job description as a librarian never said "and will
provide day care and nap time for all children under the age of
12 who are in the library unattended by their parents or guardians."
And I'm sure that no public library wants this responsibility either.

Margaret

Margaret F. Riley, MSLIS            **New Address**
Internet Consultant		 The Riley Guide
3411 University Blvd West #303	 http://www.jobtrak.com/jobguide/
Kensington, MD  20895-1734	 mfriley at erols.com
(301) 946-1917     (301) 946-8877 FAX (please call before faxing)