Boston situation

L Champelli lchampel at monroe.lib.in.us
Thu Feb 27 15:27:00 EST 1997

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, CMUNSON wrote:

[snip]
>      The disturbing thing about this is the call to put censorware on the
>      library computers. In this case we have an ignorant politician calling
>      for the censorware solution, which is easier to understand than
>      libraries who have VOLUNTARILY put this crap on their computers.

I find it equally disturbing that libraries have voluntarily installed
blocking software and not informed their patrons that the software is in
place or explained what it does.

At least the patrons of BPL who pay attention to community issues
will be aware of their library's (pending) use of this software and
had an opportunity to express their opinions it.

I would be interested in hearing about this from public libraries in
particular that have chosen to use blocking software.
Does your Computer/Internet Use Policy state that the library uses
blocking software? Do you have signs posted on terminals where blocking
software is installed clearly indicating that it restricts access to
Internet resources. If yes - what does it say? / If not - why not?

[snip]
>      I think that blocking all of these sites is bad idea in a free
>      society. How do we expect kids to develop critical thinking skills if
>      we don't allow them to learn about the full spectrum of political
>      thought? Today Nazi sites, tomorrow gay and lesbian sites, and next
>      week Mark Twain sites. Where will this stop? Who has the right to
>      decide these things? Not me and not Mayor Menino.
>
>      I think that librarians need to fight for unrestricted access to the
>      web. This is a fight that we cannot afford to lose.
>
>      Chuck Munson

Many thanks to librarians and otherwise who have so eloquently
explained why blocking software is not the way to go. I believe a better
use of time and money would be spent in helping educate patrons about the
nature of the Internet and how to locate and evaluate resources they
choose to access.

-- Lisa Champelli

Children's Librarian - lchampel at monroe.lib.in.us
Monroe County Public Library - http://www.monroe.lib.in.us