Panorama and SGML

Earl Young eayoung at bna.com
Thu Feb 27 08:28:57 EST 1997

I went to a "Panorama presentation" yesterday at the Canadian Embassy in
Washington.  Panorama is made by Soft Quad - which is a Canadian firm - and they
were showing a US Department of Defense application.  Attendees included people
from IBM, several major publishers, various DOD offices, and a collection of
consultants.  The Chairman and the major technical people from SoftQuad were
also there.

There was a roundtable discussion after the presentation.  The summary is that
Panorama works.

Panorama Pro - as distinct from the Panorama Viewer - works as either a
standalone product or as an add-on the Netscape Navigator.  An Internet Explorer
version is imminent.  Panorama builds a page that resembles an HTML frames page
- and the "frame" on the left is built dynamically according to the DTD.
Clicking on the left frame takes you to the appropriate portion of the document
- which by defauly displays on the right.  The left frame may be pushed out of
the way if you need more space for the display on the right.

All told, the product is very impressive.  There were enough discussions about
"tweaks" that people want to indicate that the assembled users had a lot of
experience with the product.  Configuration issues were raised, and a Mac
version was requested.  We do a lot of SGML work at BNA - lots of SGML work -
and found the meeting to be very valuable.  I will let you know how the product
works for us.

There is a difference between Panorama Pro and the viewer you can download from
their site.  They are trying to generate revenue in order to support more
development - like all other software firms - and we talked at length about
their pricing model.  But I would caution against deciding about the product
based on experience with only their "free, downloadable" viewer.  It is a niche
product - designed to provide the ability to view SGML - but it does not have
the flexibility of their Panorama Pro product.

SoftQuad also sells the Hot Metal Pro editor.  They appear to have their
collective heads together in the area of making HTML and SGML work through
browsers.

We do not run 3.1 on any of our development machines because most of the recent
software demands at least 95.  The 3.1 configuration was discussed yesterday as
an "annoyance" item - briefly.  Have you tried emailing SoftQuad about the
problem?

Earl Young