Inmagic database on the Web - Oregon

Ernest Perez perez at opac.osl.state.or.us
Wed Feb 26 21:24:37 EST 1997

This is a copy of a message from the libs-or list for Oregon library
community.  It describes the new Oregon Index database using the Inmagic
DB/Textserver Web product. Thought that Web4Lib subscribers might find
this of interest.

cheers,
Ernest Perez

-----------------------
"OREGON INDEX" WWW CONVERSION COMPLETED

The Oregon State Library has finished moving the Oregon Index over to a
new Web-searchable search engine. The new Webbed index uses Inmagic's
"DB/Text WebServer" software. The "Oregon Index" database is now free
and open for general public access, as well as for library staff use.
No username or password is required for access.

Oregon Index search pages are available via the State Library's Home
Page menus at

<http://www.osl.state.or.us/oslhome.html>, or directly at

<http://db.osl.state.or.us/orind1.htm> Current File, 1995-present
<http://db.osl.state.or.us/orind2.htm> Backfile, 1987-1994

Oregon Index is a selective index file to multiple Oregon newspapers and
Oregon-related articles in other publications. The index has been
voluntarily produced by staff and volunteers from a number of Oregon
libraries, since 1987. We are presently adding other machine-readable
files to the database. We have already added Eugene Register-Guard
entries for 1995-97, and will be updating that file on a monthly basis.
We are already testing for conversion of keyword index backfiles from
Willamette Week, and hope to add these in the near future.

Besides licensing to support general public access, the new Inmagic
search software brings real ease-of-use to the Oregon Index files. The
software uses WWW form-based templates for easy searching of the popular
regional database. The interface is similar to those used for the
popular Alta Vista and Lycos Web search engines. The user can enter
search conditions for keyword, subject, date, title/headline, author,
publication title, or document number. There is detailed online help.

Library staffers can call State Library technical support for index use
is available during weekday work hours at 503-378-4246.

-ernest perez

Ernest Perez//Oregon State Library//perez at opac.state.or.us//503-378-4243