Boston situation -Reply

Laura Quilter lauramd at uic.edu
Wed Feb 26 19:32:24 EST 1997

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997 stone at imcpl.lib.in.us wrote:

> This not an all inclusive definition of porn but how about people having sex
> with animals. Anyone disagree?

what, exactly: drawings? photographs? videos? sound clips? literary
descriptions?

> Frankly, the definition does not matter. In most communities, if we do not
> not make a reasonable attempt to protect our children ( i.e. BPL), someone
> else will be making the decision for us. In extreme cases, Internet access
> may be prohibited.

There are lots of arguments for pre-emptive self-censorship, but all the
arguments against CENSORSHIP would also apply to pre-emptive
self-censorship, and more besides.

Laura M. Quilter   /   lauramd at uic.edu
Electronic Services Librarian
University of Illinois at Chicago