Boston situation -Reply -Reply

Laura Quilter lauramd at uic.edu
Wed Feb 26 19:18:15 EST 1997

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Earl Young wrote:

>      The city - or some government agency - is paying for the library.  The
>      building, the computers, the electricity - you name it.  The golden
>      rule - those with the gold make the rules - applies here.  No smart
>      politician wants to be in the position of providing access to
>      something that many will find objectionable - given that their
>      constituents are footing at least part of the bill.

If it is the case - and I don't doubt it - that no "smart politician"
wants to provide access to "objectionable" material, then "smart
politicians" should not want to support public libraries whatsoever.
Luckily, cooler heads than those of "smart politicians" have prevailed.

This money argument is all wrong.  The money costs are in two places here.
1) Paying for the Internet access in the first place.  This is widely
touted by such luminaries as our, cough cough, president, to be essential
to education and every other good thing under the sun.  2) Paying for the
"blocking software."  Let me highlight this.  If the local taxpayers paid
for Internet access the first time, they will have to pay a second time to
block out some of that Internet access.  The censorship question is an
entirely separate question from the provision of Internet access and
hopefully no citizen/taxpayer/HUMAN BEINGS will be fooled into thinking
the two are inextricably linked.  The point ought to be made, in an age of
increasingly limited resources, can we afford to spend scarce resources on
an ineffective and politically troublesome (as well as morally repellent)
piece of software, when we could instead be spending that money to provide
MORE resources for the community?

[deletia]

>      As far as First Amendment - the Constitution is silent as to whether
>      government has a duty to provide me access to material. It merely says
>      the government cannot deny access (absent a "crowded theater") to free
>      speech.  That is why I do not see a big First Amendment issue over
>      whether libraries need to provide access.  Whether the material should
>      be banned from the Internet - that is THE First Amendment issue in my
>      opinion.

As I already stated, the government (i.e., taxpayers via the government
via our library) is already paying for the internet access.  It would have
to pay again to deny some of that access.

Laura M. Quilter   /   lauramd at uic.edu
Electronic Services Librarian
University of Illinois at Chicago
http://www.uic.edu/~lauramd/