Silence, Please

Linda Woods Hyman lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu
Wed Feb 26 14:56:55 EST 1997

Here's another article that made me feel uneasy...."Ready for fun? You
might try the bookstore--Music, seminars entertain customers at new-style
marts" from the Feb 23 SD Union Tribune
(http://www.uniontrib.com/utarchives/idoc.cgi?285166+unix+lhyman+www.uniontrib.c
om..80+Union-Tribune+Union-Tribune+Library+Library++bookstore%20)

>smitch at ucrac1.ucr.edu wrote:
>Just thought you all, especially you public librarians, should take a
>peek at Sallie Tisdale's article in the March issue of Harper's
>entitled "Silence Please: The Public Library as Entertainment
>Center".  Most folks on this list will want to take a couple of
>aspirins first. Its quite a broadside. Though she has her points the
>kinds of conclusions she draws are nothing short of amazing. And,
>thats too bad because in my book shes a good, even brave,  writer
>capable of tackling with lucidity all kinds of difficult subjects. Oh well.
>
>Cordially,
>
>Steve Mitchell

Linda Woods Hyman-Education First Initiative
Pacific Bell/San Diego State University
Dept. of Educational Technology
San Diego  CA  92182  (619) 594-4414
e-mail:  lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu