EZ backup of Win95 ...

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Wed Feb 26 14:36:38 EST 1997

Could one create an image of the Win95 partition with dd,
and then gzip it?  To restore, mount the Win95 partition
in Linux, and pipe the image through gzip and dd, specifying
the Win95 partition as the output file.  Would this work?

Also, if one tars and gzips a Win95 installation, there are
Win32 ports of GNU tar and gzip.  It should be possible to
unpack tarred/gzipped files under Win95 or NT.

Interesting ideas from Ulrich and John F.

Chuck
Chuck Bearden			email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Catalog Department		voice: 713/247-3499
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-3158
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002		-=> NOT SPEAKING FOR HPL <=-
      -=>HPL's Homepage: http://sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us<=-

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Ulrich Babiak wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I think many of us have to struggle with all the "security"
> holes in win95 - making it very easy for any user to
> mess around with system settings and files. While there are
> lots of kiosk and security programs out there, most of them
> are either expensive or do not address ALL the problems
> created by the Win95 system design. And making backups
> of complete Win95 systems is really painful ...
>
> Here's something I came up with last night when I was
> roaming around sleeplessly: You probably remember my
> "Webserver on a disk" - a little Linux system fitted
> on one single bootable floppy. Wouldn't it be great
> to use this for backup purposes too? Like this:
> - create a Linux partition on the user PC
>   (so nobody can "see" it under Dos/Win95)
> - booting the pc from the Linux disk
> - backing up the complete Win partition onto the Linux
>   partition (with dump? or afio?)

[etc.]