EZ backup of Win95 ...

Shaken Angel jbfink at ogre.lib.muohio.edu
Wed Feb 26 14:27:58 EST 1997

Ulrich (and Web4Lib),

Your plan for creating a small Linux partition on each Windows machine is
a relatively interesting proposal.  I would probably split the disk about
evenly, but I wouldn't rely on a floppy-boot -- I'd install LILO and give
LILO a zero-wait and default boot into '95.  I'd install a *very* minimal
Linux system, no compilers, no X, and back up the Windows partition using
GNU's tar facility, which also includes automagic filtering through gzip
so as to create a compressed tar file of whatever Windows files you deemed
necessary to back up.

What might be an even better solution if you have many Windows machines of
identical or similar setups is to locate a dedicated Linux box and just
store the tar file(s) on it.  If you cooked up the Linux machine with SMB
(Windows networking) or Novell/IPX and GNU tar for Windows (does such a
thing exist?  I think so but I'm not sure) you wouldn't even have to leave
Windows to restore your files.

-- john f., miami university library systems.