Concept virus(?)

Bill Moseley moseley at netcom.com
Wed Feb 26 14:09:15 EST 1997

I haven't researched this much, but you can prevent Word from loading
(running) macros by holding the Shift key down while opening Word or a Word
document.  This should work when launching Word from any program.  Once
opened you can check for new macros and delete if necessary.

So after downloading a .doc file from the Web (obligatory web reference), I
typically start Word and then open the document with the shift key.

I also understand you can use the "/m" switch to prevent the AutoExec macro
from running.

Another thing that is kicking around is that by making the normal.dot
template file readonly you can prevent macro viruses from propagating.

Can anyone confirm these methods?

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley at netcom.com