Web vs CB radio -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Tue Feb 25 16:41:48 EST 1997

>>> Steve Backs <sbacks at unity.ncsu.edu> 02/25/97
11:57am >>>
The WWW is EXACTLY like the CB radio in that it is alive
with a  cacophony of unregulated, disorganized chatter.

< much cut here >

The main difference as I see it is that the  WWW is also
populated by so much worthwhile information (like channel 9
on the CB?)- libraries, museums, tax information, CNN,
ESPN, consumer  information, etc.

===========================
And the last sentence above is exactly WHY the web will
NOT go the way of CB.  CB has/had relatively few
"redeeming social values" once you'd gotten past warnings
about cops, chatroom type of chat, learning where the
hookers are, etc.  The web started with the non-CB stuff, and
continues with it.  Yes, there are CB types of features in the
web, and also a zillion commercial ones....but I'm convinced
that those complement the ones we're interested in.  They'll
be there to keep the critical mass (thus money) present for
the vital uses libraries typically make of the web.

Nope, the web will not disappear like CB, although it MAY be
replaced in a few years by a new model of
connection/interaction/etc.

cheers

cyclops

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho, 83725 USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu     OR    alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox:    http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
"How can one fool make another wise?"   Kansas, 1979.