RDBMS for Web and Lib

Heinrich C. Kuhn kuhn at mpg-gv.mpg.de
Wed Feb 19 09:26:04 EST 1997

Dear Web4Lib-ers,

   we are looking for a project of ours for
a relational database that has the following
capabilities:

a)   available on the more common flavours of
     unix
b)   already in use somewhere as a basis to
     a library system
c)   WWW-interface available and more or less
     easy to handle
d)   standard SQL supported
e)   fulltext features available
f)   reasonable performance even with lots
     of records, complicated data-structures
     and under heavy load.

Up to now we asked (and in some cases already
obtained) for information on Informix, Oracle,
Sybase. We also know about IBM's "digital library".

Is there some other RDBMS you are happy with and
which you think we should take into account? If
so: Please do let me know.

   Thanks a lot in advance!!!

   Regards

Heinrich C. Kuhn

*  Dr. Heinrich C. Kuhn   (coordinator libraries)
*  Max-Planck-Gesellschaft / Generalverwaltung IIb3
*  Postfach 10 10 62
*  D-80084 Muenchen
*
*  voice: +49-89-2108 1563