Win95 servers

Bennett, David bennett at rmcnet.robert-morris.edu
Tue Feb 18 10:02:47 EST 1997

>I would like to hear from anyone who uses a Win95 web server.
>I would like to hear from those of you who have actually worked with
Win95
>web servers.

I teach a class about the Internet in which we install and configure
Windows web servers.  So I have some familiarity with Win HTTPD (a Win31
server) and also with ZBServer (Win95/NT), though not in a production
environment.

Here is a blurb from the ZBServer help file:
*ZBServer Pro is a World Wide Web (HTTP), Gopher and FTP server for
personal computers running *Microsoft (tm) Windows versions 95 or NT. It
allows you to create your own site on the web.
*Please check at the following web site for more information:
http://www.zbserver.com

They have educational pricing...heck even the commercial pricing is
reasonable, though.
You can download it and try it for free.

This is a full featured server that installs quickly, is easy to manage,
and can run in the background (let's say if you want to run a word
processor or browser on the same PC).  You can password any directory.
You can log and manage statistics easily.  There is a nice interface for
adding perl/CGI scripts.  And the server triples as an FTP and GOPHER
server.

As easy as it is to use, I can safely recommend it as a nice alternative
to a UNIX server, keeping in mind that it is for light use (personal as
opposed to a corporate server).  For reviews of this and other Windows
servers, I recommend Stroud's.

David Bennett  (bennett at robert-morris.edu)
Systems Support & Instruction Librarian
Robert Morris College Library