Telnet with Windows 3.1

Ed Cherry cecherry at samford.edu
Mon Feb 17 17:03:17 EST 1997

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:27:39 -0800 Christopher Adams
<chris at sparkie.osl.state.or.us> wrote:

> Some of the remote links on our web server require telnet and I am trying
> to find a good telnet program that will open in FRONT of the web browser
> window and will not time out after about 10-15 seconds.

In my experience, this "shy window syndrome" is the fault of
older versions of Netscape and the creator of the html, not the
telnet app itself. If the URL reads something like:

telnet://userid:password@somewhere.edu

Netscape v. 2 and older will launch the telnet app, then seize
control to tell the user how to log into the session.  The
telnet window is now beneath Netscape.  I just tried this with
Netscape 3.0 (and win95), and the telnet app appears after the
login advice. Unfortunately, now the telnet window hides the
Netscape "login as" dialog box.  I think previous versions of
Netscape will behave badly as Christopher described if a userid
or password is included in the URL.

My advice:  don't include usernames and/or passwords in URLs.
Tell the users how to log in on the referring page.
* Ed Cherry             *                              *
* Automation Librarian  * Phone:  (205) 870-2506       *
* Davis Library         * Fax:    (205) 870-2642       *
* Samford University    * E-Mail: cecherry at samford.edu *
* Birmingham, AL  35229 *                              *