Telnet with Windows 3.1

Christopher Adams chris at sparkie.osl.state.or.us
Thu Feb 13 17:57:56 EST 1997

Some of the remote links on our web server require telnet and I am trying
to find a good telnet program that will open in FRONT of the web browser
window and will not time out after about 10-15 seconds. In my experience
with telnet and Windows, many times people try to run the telnet and the
dialog box in Netscape comes up and gives the statement "Log on as
Catalog" with the choices "Okay" or "Cancel". When they click on "Okay"
nothing seems to happen, because the telnet window has opened behind the
Netscape window. By the time they have a chance to find the telnet
window, it has timed out. It would work fine if the person knew to reduce
the size of the Netscape window before running the telnet session, but
that it just not going to happen.

I have been using Trmptel for Windows 3.1 and I am not that familiar with
the built-in telnet for Win 95. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I am wondering Netscape design the browser so that Telnet opens up in
front by default?

Christopher Adams
Automated Systems
Oregon State Library