Statistics on the Internet

Ashton, Jason jason.ashton at esr.cri.nz
Wed Feb 12 23:55:00 EST 1997

Dear All,

Here is a compilation of the replies I got to my inquiry (see below).

There are lots of interesting sites, two of the more useful I found were:

NUA Internet Surveys  http://www.nua.ie/surveys/
CyberAtlas     http://www.cyberatlas.com/

Thank you everyone for your help.

Jason.
 ----------------------------
Jason M Ashton     e-mail: <jason.ashton at esr.cri.nz>
Information Research Services
Institute of Environmental Science and Research Ltd (ESR)
Private Bag 92021
Auckland
New Zealand

    We operate a repository of freely available software, software
engineering resources, and internet information. As part of the internet
related material, we maintain a collection of assets relating to internet

usage statistics, user demographics etc...

The URL for this is:

  http://rbse.mountain.net/mpcs

Hope this is of use to you

Gabe I. Gobeli
                         ggobeli at rbse.mountain.net

I think Internet World did a feature on the type of statistics you were
looking for.  It was called "The State of the Net" I think i t was in the
October or November 1996 issue. I could probably find the exact citation
if I had to :)

Anne Bulin
annebn at dsl.rhilinet.gov
Howdy.  You might try the following sites for starters ... tho they're
more forcused on your own country -

http://www.vuw.ac.nz/~mimi/survey/
http://www.comp.vuw.ac.nz/~mark/netsites.html
http://www.comp.vuw.ac.nz/~mark/netsites-growth.html
http://survey.fca.vuw.ac.nz/Results/Results.html

* John Creech, Reference Librarian                                      *
* jcreech at redshift.com                                                  *
* http://www.redshift.com/~jcreech                                      *

Hi.  The New York Times had an article on January 20th entitled "As Most
Wired Nation, Finland has jumped into the 21st Century" (no longer on the

website I'm afraid), and in the article it had a list of the countries
with the most Internet hosts per 1,000 people.  New Zealand tied for 6th
with 23 hosts, compared to Finland's 62, Iceland's 42 and the US's 31.

The source of these statistics was Matrix Information and Directory
Services, which Yahoo indexed their gopher site at
gopher://www.tic.com/11/matrix.  So I'd try this site for further
statistics.

If you'd like a copy of the NY Times article, I'd be happy to send you a
copy of the version I saved for myself.

Ielleen Miller, Reference Librarian
imiller at merlin.deltast.edu
Have you tried the Internet Index?  This resource is based on the famous
(in the U.S., anyway) Harper's Index:

 http://www.openmarket.com/intindex/

Richard J. Violette
rviolett at socialaw.com
The following two sites are quite good for the kind of statistics you are
looking for.  Cyberatlas may be considered a digest of stats and as such
is
a good starting point.  The GVU surveys are comprehensive, both in
breadth
and depth.  Good luck and happy hunting

Cyberatlas
http://www.cyberatlas.com/

GVU's 6th WWW User Survey
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/gvu/user_surveys/survey-10-1996/

Linda Rudell Betts at QUARTERDECK
Jason, try BusinessLink's Internet Demographics at URL
http://www.bltg.com/demograf.html

Genie Tyburski
EM:  tyburski at hslc.org
I presume you've discovered
        http://www.vuw.ac.nz/~mimi/survey/
which links to the work at Georgia Tech which is probably the best work
that's been done on this; however the difficulty is that it is a self
selecting sample.

You can get further guidance from
        http://www.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/Statistics_an
d_
Demographics/

Alastair Smith                               |Alastair.Smith at vuw.ac.nz

Please take a look at the Georgia Tech GVU Web Usage Survey.  It's
been around for a couple of years now and several survey results
are available.

It's at :
  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/gvu/user_surveys/

There is a specific link to New Zealand results at:
  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/gvu/user_surveys/survey-04-1996/#highsum

 --Ann Grusin, Georgia Tech Library Systems
   ann.grusin at library.gatech.edu

Several good sites include:
http://www.nua.ie/surveys/
http://www.cyberatlas.com/
 --
Kathy M. Irwin, Technology Intern
irwinkat at metronet.lib.mi.us

Maybe you'll find what you're looking for here:

  http://www.nw.com/zone/WWW/top.html

Knut Hegna

I can't guide you to a site that meets your specific needs,
but here's a listing that I've kept from previous inquiries.
Hope they provide what you need.

Internet Statistics sites:
http://www.cyberatlas.com/
http://www.openmarket.com/info/intindex/