Chat on public access Internet

Joe Schallan jschall at glenpub.lib.az.us
Wed Feb 12 20:37:42 EST 1997

At 4:37 PM on 2/12/97 PST, Kathy McGreevy wrote:

>Short of a software solution I'm unaware of or an electronic cattle prod,
>it doesn't seem like there's much we can do . . .

At our library we implemented what I believe to be a unique
solution.  Our Internet PCs are on long, high tables with
sturdy, comfortable, all-metal bar stools affixed to the floor in
front of each workstation.  The stools have been wired to
a power supply via raceways under the floor, and the current
to each stool is controlled from a panel at the reference desk.
The power supply has variable control, giving us four
settings on our control panel: OFF, TICKLE, PROD, and
SMITE.

We like to begin with TICKLE, unless we see that the patron
is a known hard case, in which PROD is usually the best
starting point.  Note, however, that a full SMITE delivers
only enough current to cause pain and a rapid vault from
the stool but not permanent injury.

This has been a great success, especially for zapping
junior-high-age boys hogging the workstations with
MUDs.

Patrons with pacemakers have been problematical,
however.

Joe Schallan

Joe Schallan, MLS                             jschall at glenpub.lib.az.us
Reference Librarian and Web Page Editor
Glendale (Arizona) Public Library                        (602) 930-3555