Windows NT Workstation, plus more on NT

Dan Kissane powerdan at intersurf.com
Tue Feb 11 12:19:00 EST 1997

Preface: I am new at this and comments about flaws in my thinking are
open.

We just started using NT and the short answer to your question is YES.

Here is a tip. Internet Explorer 3.0 runs much much much faster than
Netscape. Also, when people make bookmarks they are automatically removed
under Explorer at the next start of a session. This allows you to
place a predetermined list of bookmarks in
place while logged in as administrator.

A great deal of time has been spent on this listserv plugging holes in
Netscape at public stations. The answer is to run NT with Explorer and
ditch Netscape.

Explorer runs so
much faster than Netscape that we removed
Netscape altogether and put it on top of the pile containing Mosaic and
Cello!

This means the circle has come all the way around. MAC stuff used to be
great at Integration of software and hardware. Now Microsoft fills this
role.

The same goes for MS Word. Use it instead of WordPerfect and you will get
less trouble and less conflicts.

As the biggest MAC proponent of all time, hence the Power (for PowerPC) in
my address (powerdan at intersurf.com) I never thought I would say this but
"Stay with the flock" (Use Microsoft with Microsoft.

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Donovan Lambright wrote:

> We're getting ready to impliment a new network at our library that will
> offer a number of resources including our catalog and public Internet
> access.  The workstations will be running Windows NT for Workstations.
>
> One question I have concerns security.  Does NT allow you to lock things
> down so the public can't change things in the workstation, or do we need to
> purchase security software such as Fortres and/or Ikiosk?
>
> Any comments from those of us familiar with NT would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>

> Donovan Lambright			Missouri River Regional Library
> Computer Services Manager		PO Box 89
> 				Jefferson City, MO  65102-0089
> 				(573) 634-2464

Dan Kissane
<powerdan at intersurf.com>
<http://www.intersurf.com/~powerdan>

The only possible interpretation of any research whatever in the
`social sciences' is: some do, some don't.
                -- Ernest Rutherford