Stats O' the Day

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 10 17:49:10 EST 1997

Thanks, Thomas, for a great posting quantifying our HTML misdeeds. But
after a quick perusal of some of the sites that parsed without error, I
would hazard a guess that things are both worse than you have led us to
believe and better.

That is, I was dismayed to discover when I was going through some of the
pages that parsed without error some of the following in one or more of
the pages:

* No <HTML></HTML> tag
* No <HEAD></HEAD> tag
* No <BODY></BODY> tag
* Empty tags (such as <PRE></PRE>)
* Poor design
* Lack of "ALT" attributes in IMG tags

Obviously there is a limit of what can be discovered by programmatic
checking (one can only wish for a program capable of determining "poor
design"). Also, a document can parse just fine but not adhere to good
coding practices (tags such as HTML, HEAD, etc. are optional, but hey!).

On the other hand, for those of us with pages that didn't make the cut
for one reason or another, parsing programs can sometimes be ridiculously
tight on some things while letting you get away with murder (see above)
with others.

The upshot for me is, I imagine, the same as it is for you. We should all
strive for good, effective, and standard tagging of our Web documents.
Anything we can do to achieve that goal is work well done. And your quick
study of the state of our coding, Thomas, is a good step in the right
direction. Now we all need to take it to heart and turn an critical eye
on our pages with http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-html32.html in our hands.
Roy Tennant