Limiting public web access

Richard A. Speer RSPEER at lpl.avcnet.org
Mon Feb 10 04:58:56 EST 1997

> While not always financially possible with every database, we have aimed
> towards having our catalog, periodicals, databases and the Web on all of our
> workstations.
> I'm not sure why you want to separate the Internet from periodicals.  It has
> been confusing for our patrons when you have to say well this workstation
> has this service, and that one has something else.  Signs alone are not
> sufficient.
That is an admirable goal and one that we share as well, but if we
had the full WWW available on all of our workstations it would be
difficult for patrons who need to use our catalog and periodical
indices to get on a machine.

This is a temporary fix and one that we hope to abandon within a
year.  In the meantime, thanks to all who suggested using Ikiosk to
limit access.

Rick Speer                         rspeer at LPL.avcnet.org
Lewiston Public Library
200 Lisbon Street                  Voice: (207) 784-0135
Lewiston, Maine 04240              Fax:   (207) 784-3011