Intranets from a librarian's perspective

Kitty Schweyer schweyer at fis.fis.utoronto.ca
Sun Feb 9 13:55:05 EST 1997

This message has been posted to various listservs. Sorry for any
duplication!

We are Faculty of Information Studies students at the
University of Toronto and we are writing an article about Intranets
for one of our courses. As we feel our topic is a timely one and will
be of interest to information managers in general we will also try to
publish our article in a professional journal or newsletter.

The focus of our article will be on how Intranets are used as an
information management system, how libraries and their staff can
utilize Intranets within their organizations, and how Intranets will
affect the role of libraries.

We would appreciate it if you could fill out the following survey
so that we can get as much input from librarians as possible. Each
question should only take a few minutes. Please return surveys to
<schweyer at fis.utoronto.ca> or <adourian at fis.utoronto.ca> by February
16, 1997 and we will summarize our results for the lists in early
March.

In this survey library refers to all information centers.

1. Does your organization have an Intranet? Yes/No _____
    If yes go to question 3.

2. Are there plans to adopt an Intranet? Yes/No _____
    If yes go to question 3.

3. What obstacles have there been (or do you foresee) in implementing
    an Intranet?

4. How do you see the library and its staff contributing to the
    Intranet?

5. How will an Intranet affect the role of the library within your
    organization?

6. What Intranet policies does your oganization have and who made
    them?

Please provide any additional comments or advice.....

Thank you for your time and interest!!!

Kitty Schweyer
schweyer at fis.utoronto.ca
Faculty of Information Studies