Limiting browsers to sites -Reply

Judi Behr judibehr at infinet.com
Mon Dec 29 11:02:16 EST 1997

Karen wrote

> Library Channel requires maintaining a client on each
> workstation, which of course also implies a per-client price
> structure.

With the exception of most OPACs, all the software libraries are using to
access the Internet and other electronic resources is client-based software.
And it is common industry practice to use a price structure that reflects
the number of workstations the software is loaded on.

> This seems like very high overhead if all you want to
> do is restrict your workstation to the SilverPlatter
> server--considering, as folks have pointed out, you can do it for
> anywhere from free to cheap, and at the network level.  The
> additional workstation requirements, such as Microsoft Explorer,
> are another type of overhead.  Finally, Library Channel is not
> transparent--that is, you are very much aware you're using
> special client software on top of your computing environment.

Accessing web-based servers requires "additional workstation requirements"
such as Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape Communicator or any other
browser. Are other browsers "transparent"? Are you less aware of the
Netscape client being "on top of your computing environment"? The Library
Channel web browser is simpler to use than either Netscape or IE for the
majority of public library users.

> I am not the scriptin' sort, but  I am dimly remembering that the
> .htaccess man page included something about restricting to
> domains.

htaccess is not in the man pages but is a file used by HTTPd (the NCSA web
server software). htaccess is a default access control file.  The purpose of
this file is to protect a server...by restricting access to directories and
branches to allowed hosts or authenticated users.
Even if a library could use htaccess to restrict access, (which they
can't)...how many libraries have a UNIX server? The Library Channel provides
EASY to use tools that can accomplish many objectives both at the client
machine and/or on the network.

>I continue to seek for the simple tool that clears history
> and returns to main page, and now I'm embellishing it in my
> fantasies by adding a restrict-to-domain feature.  Gee, these
> would be nice additions to IKiosk ...
The Library Channel is a simple tool that clears history...and returns to
the main page of the library's choosing and has domain restriction tools. It
also has tracking, collection development and link checking tools. The
Library Channel allows for many different access configurations from
complete open access to the Internet to restriciting to one domain. It is
easier to administer than a web page and gives the library many more options
for creating an easy to use interface to electronic resources.

> I am gathering permissions left and right to pull together a tips
> page on restricting access to domains and related topics, since in
> discussing filters with folks I find out that they are often seeking
> to direct (not block) traffic.  A lot of the tips I've heard this week
> have been really helpful to me.

I look forward to this tip page.

judibehr at infinet.com
Judi Behr