UNBlocked by Cyber Patrol

Shirl Kennedy sdk at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 24 17:17:00 EST 1997

I guess my point -- which I believe I've expressed on this list before is
that...

...yes, the 67 sites in question were not a representative sample; and
...yes, 58 of the sites were unblocked "within 24 hours of notification;"
but

...this contitutes yet another example of how flawed the technology is.  Who
knows what-all is being blocked by Cyber Patrol and others of its ilk that
no one has stumbled across yet?  My concern is for the library patron
seeking information on a sensitive subject who finds certain sites blocked
on a public access Internet terminal and who is a) too technologically
unsophisticated to realize what is going on; or b) too shy/embarrassed to
bring the situation to the attention of a librarian.

Shirl K.