Limiting browsers to sites -Reply

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at epamail.epa.gov
Tue Dec 23 09:00:29 EST 1997

Library Channel requires maintaining a client on each
workstation, which of course also implies a per-client price
structure.  This seems like very high overhead if all you want to
do is restrict your workstation to the SilverPlatter
server--considering, as folks have pointed out, you can do it for
anywhere from free to cheap, and at the network level.  The
additional workstation requirements, such as Microsoft Explorer,
are another type of overhead.  Finally, Library Channel is not
transparent--that is, you are very much aware you're using
special client software on top of your computing environment.

I am not the scriptin' sort, but  I am dimly remembering that the
.htaccess man page included something about restricting to
domains.  I continue to seek for the simple tool that clears history
and returns to main page, and now I'm embellishing it in my
fantasies by adding a restrict-to-domain feature.  Gee, these
would be nice additions to IKiosk ...

I am gathering permissions left and right to pull together a tips
page on restricting access to domains and related topics, since in
discussing filters with folks I find out that they are often seeking
to direct (not block) traffic.  A lot of the tips I've heard this week
have been really helpful to me.

K. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com
opinions mine alone