The importance of misspelling on the web

Joe Barker jbarker at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 22 17:39:31 EST 1997

In web-searching, it may make sense to search the misspellings as well as
the correct one.  The search (millenium or milennium or milenium) and not
millennium in Alta Vista retrieves almost 122,000 documents.  only about
20,000 of those also contain the word correctly spelled.  The total with
millennium correctly spelled is under 220,000.  So, a third of the web
authors need Robert's admonition below.

	Joe Barker, The Teaching Library, UC Berkeley