Knowledge Mapping

Alain Vaillancourt ndgmtlcd at GSLIS.Lan.McGill.CA
Fri Dec 19 18:51:57 EST 1997

Hello!

>  Is there anything about the choice of colors that is intuitive?
> Probably not.

No, there is most certainly not!  To some users red is indicative of
danger and means "stay away" but for other users it indicates great
interest and it means "come to this red-hot topic".

All the instruction imaginable, all the pop-ups or legends you might
put in will not change these ingrained user attitudes.

Any general Information Visualization software using colors at its
presentation level should use them in a redundant fashion, presenting
variations in shape also, to compensate for these variations in user
perception of the meaning of  specific colors.  This also settles
the problem of the color impaired and the question of printouts on
monochrome printers or photocopies of color printouts on  monochrome
photocopiers. You always have to take into account that someone
someday is going to want to make photocopies of those nice color
printouts, but will not take the trouble to go find a color copier.

On the other hand color is extremely useful as an option presented to
the users for markup of files once you move from the general display
to the personal desktops.  At that point users can choose whatever
color they please to suit their own perceptions.  Many studies have
been done on this and Lansdale et alia have gone a bit further with
their research on this:

Lansdale, Mark ; M. Simpson;  T. R. M. Stroud. "A Comparison of
Words, and Icons as External Memory Aids in an Information
Retrieval Task".  Behaviour and Information Technology 	(England).
Vol. 9 (2).  March-April 1990.  pp. 111-131.

> I keep an eye out for interesting research in this area, but nothing much
> has really grabbed me.  Perspecta (www.perspecta.com) has one of the better
> fly-through spatial interfaces.  For reference to a bunch of others, see
> Gerry McKiernan's resource page:
>
> http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/BigPic1.htm

Since I am preparing a Ph.D. subject on the use of icons and glyphs in
Information Visualization  and in the user's desktop environment I am
actively looking for research on the topic.

I have found this suggestion from the Big Picture site to be very
instructive:

YOUNG, P. Three Dimensional Information Visualisation. Technical
report, Computer Science Technical Report 12/96, Department of
Computer Science, University of Durham, Durham, UK, November 1, 1996.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcs3py/pages/work/Documents/lit-survey/IV-Survey
/index.html

The trouble is that it has not been updated since  November1996

But:

There is a very recent survey of  Information Visualization, by U of
Maryland’s HCIL:

OLIVE On-line Library of Information Visualization Environments

http://otal.umd.edu/Olive/

Au revoir!

Alain Vaillancourt

ndgmtlcd at gslis.lan.mcgill.ca